Friday, May 8, 2015




CIGAR REVIEW - ROMEO Y JULIETA HOUSE OF CAPULET TORO

Suggested Retailer: FAMOUS SMOKE SHOP

Strength: Medium
Shape: Toro
Size: 6 x 52
Country: Honduras
Wrapper Color: Natural
Wrapper Origin: Ecuadorian

Wrapper Leaf: Connecticut


My first attempt at enjoying one of the handful of Romeo Y Julieta House of Capulet Toro smokes I had acquired didn’t work out too well.

I lit one up promptly upon leaving the office one day to enjoy on my ride home. A fine cigar usually cures what ails me as I battle traffic and suppress road rage urges on the afternoon commute home. However, I’m usually prone to a heavy Maduro cigar. I do occasionally crave something lighter, but not often. Apparently, the lighter, albeit medium strength, cigar wasn't the right choice for a drive home smoke. The wind whipping through the Cadillac sun roof and front seat windows served to diminish the strength, consistency and flavor of the draw. Never mind the poor performance of the burn.

Never one to give up on the first try, a week later I gave it another whirl. After a short post-meal Sunday afternoon nap, I poured a few finger of Sailor Jerry Spiced rum with just a few rocks and sat in my favorite leather chair, feeling the kind breeze blow my way from the open screen door, as I lit up the 6 X 53 medium powered Toro. No traffic to battle. No horns. No agita. No wind whipping from the sun roof. No distractions for the lighter cigar to contend with.

After several preliminary puffs and the first few sips of rum, the enjoyment began to settle in. The natural Ecuadorian wrapper emitted its distinct flavor and the ash was holding quite nicely. The sweet spot hit its zenith somewhere around the middle of the stick. Just about the time I realized I needed to pour a few more fingers of rum.

The Romeo Y Julietta House of Capulet Toro finished, this time, the way it started—with care, with character, and as the perfect elixir companion to a lazy Sunday afternoon post-nap cocktail.




Need a Sunday afternoon read to go along with your Romeo Y Julieta stick? Grab a paperback or e-book copy of BLAZE: Operation Persian Trinity and follow the misadventures of Blaze McIntyre as he smokes cigars and engages in rugged espionage missions. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment